PERSPECTIVE is an amazing gift

 "The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new lands but in seeing with new eyes"

- Marcel Proust



I know in previous posts I have written about my return to the bedside as a nurse.  I felt the pull, the draw, the need, the longing to go back to the hospital but it took me some time to understand why.  One of the many reasons is perspective.  What I realized after I left it was the perspective I gained was immeasurable.  I can say with certainty perspective is truly a gift.  Being able to "see" just how fragile life is, how short our time is here, brings to light how every day, every interaction, every experience is a gift.  


Every job I have had, has taught me something new.  Sometimes it takes a while for the lesson to become clear, but the perspective comes from the interaction with the people I meet on a daily basis.  While at the bedside in the hospital setting, it is clear to me that everyone is challenged by something in their lives.  Unexpected accidents or illnesses, sick children, parents, spouses all force life to change in an instant.  Even if your "challenge" seems smaller than some one else's it does not minimize your challenge it only brings light to that fact that life changes, things evolve and everything is temporary.  In fact, the only thing that is permanent is change.  At the hospital I get to be a part of that, up close and personal.  The bigger, the broader your world the greater the perspective.  Regardless of where I am, if I listen closely and seek to understand there is perspective to be gained.    



Human interaction and connection is what colors our lives. Friendships, family members, co-workers, patients and complete strangers.  There is a cashier at wal-mart who is so positive I will wait in her line, even if its longer, just to talk with her for 10 minutes while she rings up my purchases.  She calls me honey and says what a beautiful day it is to be alive and in her lovely accent tells me "god bless" and I hug her as I am leaving.  Happiness often comes in the simplest of forms.  For me, the more exposures and the deeper the conversations the better the perspective.   Every experience and transition gives me the ability to process where I came from and what I have learned along the way.  I crave deep human connection.  A shared conversation or experience is what teaches me.  You have to truly listen to understand.  




Life's painful experiences is what brings change and growth.  You are not learning when life is easy.  As a nurse I am able to observe people's challenges they are faced with and almost feel it as if it were my own.  My emotional growth has certainly been a journey and I'm still travelling.  Being able to look back to see how your views have evolved because time has healed the wounds feels like looking out from the top of a mountain.  At almost 42 I am truly loving the view that perspective has given me.  I spent years exhausting myself trying to change things that could not be changed or control experiences that were out of my control.  My mantra at this point in my life is "in time Laurie, in time".  Things will happen, struggles will occur, changes can be made but perhaps not all at this very moment, but rather in time.






                          If you don't like the view, change your perspective.


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts